Thursday, August 25, 2011

Best Draft Position In A Serpentine Fantasy Football Draft

As noted on my Facebook/Twitter feeds, I am in fantasy football draft next Wednesday. I am replacing a player who is withdrawing from the 12-team league, so I inherit his team.

Teams will love to play against me. I named my team "Easy Pickings" because of this.

It's a league where you get to keep players from the prior year if you are willing to pay more than their prior year's salary. I am not. I would be, but the guys I inherited are not worth it. Heck, most are not worth the salary they got last year. Several are worth $0.

The draft process begins by determining which slot in the draft you wish to have. I think I'll pick the 6th slot. If you're 1st or 12th, then by the nature of a serpentine (snakelike) draft you will have to wait 22 picks before you get to choose again. I don't like being susceptible to "runs" on scarce positions like elite running backs.

It's not exactly a serpentine "draft" in the sense of getting to pick a player when my turn comes up. No, when my turn comes up all I get to do is make the opening bid on a player. Anyone can bid. Still, I was pleased with my analysis, like a kindergartner who finds a penny on the sidewalk and tells everyone he's rich.

No comments: