Sunday, August 7, 2011

God's Will, Part 2

"You will never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine." - John Maxwell

Lately I've been taking my pulse while at the office, out of curiosity as to its effect on my health. The early returns are that my blood pressure is 20% higher than at home. That'd make a little more sense if my job was moving furniture. But sitting at a staff meeting? Seems like something should change.

Anticipated conflict is likely at the root of some of it. Maybe even interpersonal conflict, since there are bound to be differences of opinion on a project, or in philosophy. Not uncommonly, it'll generate some frustration or tease the fringes of anger.

I choose to view God as personal, and also as the creator of the universe. It comforts me that I find it difficult to get angry at God, even when there’s perhaps a logical case for it. When a hundred tornadoes come sweeping out of the sky and devastate thousands of lives in Joplin Missouri and elsewhere, the responsible party seems straightfoward.

My personal relationships are usually stronger when we’re in contact regularly. I think that aids my God-relationship too. Every day I experience a thousand blessings of nature, relationships, health and resources. These innumerable privileges have deposited an inexhaustible account balance of gratefulness. Even if I'm taken by the same disease that's felled the last couple generations... this life's been a gift.

Of course, the physical toll of 100 mph wind may seem less damaging than the pointed rebuke of a neighbor. Somehow it adds a degree of personal responsibility that's tough to shake, leaves a sense that we could do something differently to fix things. This is what spikes blood pressure in unhealthy ways.

So what to change? Perception, for one. Something we do will draw ire. Is that God's will? Right or wrong, I find calmness in seeing it that way. It dissolves dread beforehand and torment afterward. I still feel compelled to give my best, while sleeping well at night. And, with practice, while enjoying my resting heart rate throughout the day.

No comments: