Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Marry Affair

Our friend Michelle Knapp married Rick Kaisner this afternoon at the Goodfield Apostolic Christian Church.

Apostolic Christian churches traditionally make no use of instruments other than the human voice. As Dena, her mother and I walked in we were surrounded by the harmonics of a capella hymn singing. I'd imagine that growing up in a church like that is a great way to learn music without taking a class. In no time I was in tune with legions of other amateur basses crooning from the Hymns of Zion (most likely printed in the last 100 years, though I make no guarantees).

Got to give props to our friend Jay Rinkenberger who led the service. A retired electrician, he has the preaching gift. His ability to recall names and events was evidence of either a remarkable memory or passionate preparation, or both. He spun a mixture of relationship truisms and energetic humor that made his 30 minute message seem much shorter. Did I mention that he instantly recognized Dena and me by name when he was socializing in the lobby before the service? If it were me, I'd have been so in the zone rehearsing my talk that I'd have been lucky to recognize my own mother, let alone a person I'd not seen for 10 years. Clearly this is a guy who's discovered his calling. If he's half as good of an electrician I'm putting him on retainer!

Receptions are a light event for AC's. Alcohol and music are not in the recipe. It's comprised mostly of a reception line long enough to require ropes to cordon off five hundred community members in an orderly fashion. An hour of standing later, there's a delectable selection of cake, candy and crackers (okay, so there's no such thing as "delectable crackers," but you get the idea).

Congratulations Michelle and Rick! Best wishes as you start your family in Hoffman Estates, a few stones throws from Mom's place. We'll see you soon.

No comments: