Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Path To Destiny

The e-mail about the office closing came out around 11:30, announcing 12:30 as the closing time.

"I wonder if I should drop by the gym for a half-hour of cardio, or just head home to beat the blizzard?" The trusty Saturn loves to slide around on snow at every chance rather than grip the pavement.

Back to work for a while though. When closing time approached, the department was mostly empty. The Saturn was parked out in the deck on the top level, and it eased down the ramps to the ground floor.

I was leaning toward a gym trip, but figured I'd take a peek down Four Seasons road to make the final decision.

As I pulled up to the light, the eyes saw a beautiful sight. Two government-sized plow trucks had just turned down the street that I was pointed toward. They cleared the way ahead, one right behind the other for supreme effect, like Gillette twin blades smoothing a cheek.

"I must be destined to continue!"

Down the street I forged amid the swirling downpour, behind the mighty metal fullbacks. Hung a left into the still-occupied Four Seasons parking lot, and slid into a space.

Strode into the entrance and was greeted by a face beaming like a pardoned inmate.

"We're closing at 1:00 today, is that all right?"

Glanced up at the clock. 12:25.

"Perfect!" Fate continued to vote enthusiastically for exercise.

Three miles' worth of elliptical striding later, I changed into sweats and ventured into the maelstrom just ahead of the emancipated employees.

The flakes were flying fiercely but powdery, not damp. The roads were mostly white but, unlike our stunted Christmas voyage, still showed tracks of black asphalt to guide the wheels home. The drive was slow, yet easy, God's final affirmative pat on the back for discovery a slice of destiny.

Or maybe he just thought it really important that I get showered ASAP.

No comments: