Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Cast Off

God's pretty good at reinforcing that the truest measure of winning is having done your best, no matter what the end result.

This week I listened to my Aida audition song a hundred times over, worked with Dena for an hour on the piano to learn the notes on the written page. I hunted down a copy of the script for my character online and practiced lines, inflections, expressions, movements.

It wasn't enough.

It's simply the nature of theater. As a wise director said, at the end what matters most is how well an actor's interpretation matches up with his own vision for that particular show. In this case, mine wasn't the best fit.

God's also good at reminding me how lucky I am to have Dena in my life. Sometimes it comes in the form of clearing over a hundred hours of rehearsal time from my calendar that can be spent together. Or perhaps some of that time is destined to be spent helping with basketball coaching, summer tutoring, or condominium association service.

Whatever it is, it's the right path. A night's sleep sure helped, but this morning I'm ready to resume rehearsing my smile for the most important audiences in my life.

No comments: