Sunday, February 23, 2014

23 And Counting: The Week In Thanks

It's only ten days until the state basketball tournament, the first round of which we'll host. Coming off a win, three winnable games next week. A 17-8 record is a good one, and if we dive for loose balls and out-tough other teams we'll have a few more victories to celebrate before the year is over.

I had a chance to promote the Leadership McLean County program. Waking up at 5:00am isn't part of my circadian rhythms, as they say, but it was fun to do a presentation for the first time in a while, and to team up for the first time with the energetic Amy O'Neal the alumni association chair.

I have 3 new students this week, raising the total to 23. Combined with Heartland we're up to 35 scheduled hours of tutoring per week. Once basketball season ends we should be breaking records. I also experimented with my first Skype-based tutoring, which could be an amazing opportunity if I can figure out how to master the technology.

Dena just redecorated our bedroom impressively. Hard to explain, but she hung several pictures with equal spacing. Combined with scented candles, fresh coffee, and repainted walls, she always manages to keep our home looking and feeling good. Meanwhile we had a neighbor who had a disastrous experience with leaking water that transformed it into an ice castle. We're lucky to have a sturdy, warm, well-cared-for home to relax in.

Random thanks for the stoplight at the corner of Grandview and College avenues. It's incredibly friendly to people approaching from Grandview, giving me speedy access to the library and Epiphany.

Also grateful for the calming effect that tossing a Snuggie on top of a cat has. Wildness turns to stillness in a matter of minutes.

Dena sent me a few jokes that got reposted this week. Sense of humor is so vital in a marriage! Tuesday is the 19th anniversary of our introduction.

A student asked me to help him with differential equations this week. I'd never taken the class, but by the time we were done he made a comment that when he saw me in the lab he knew he was going to be all right. Growing reputations are so affirming.

I've been impressed with the buzz surrounding Pope Francis. I'm glad that the Catholic Church is putting its eye on the times.

Finally, although I was sad to step away from the 9 to 5 musical, it's turned out to be a dramatically energy-saving move. My ability to help students has soared. I'm able to keep up with blogging and the finer little things in life. God nudged me in the right direction on that one!

Less than one month until spring, y'all!!

No comments: