Sunday, February 16, 2014

Crying Icicles: The Week In Thanks

In the midst of this recently long and cold winter, the sight of icicles melting off toward extinction warms the hearts of we inside.

Adding to the good news is that physically, some ailments are showing gradual signs of improvement. My elbow has felt just a bit stronger, my eyes are finally seeing clearly thanks to my new optometrist McLean County Eye Center.

Despite all of the snowy roads, the Honda's been embracing them without complaint, steering me home fairly easily. The engine's standing up to the frigid temps, the heat keeping things de-iced.

I was fortunate to be in a Leadership McLean County steering committee meeting this week that was crackling with energy. My role as an informal advisor suited me incredibly well, and as a sort of utilityman I'll be co-delivering a promotional speech this week.

We're halfway into February and by the grace of God Dena and I have still avoided cold and flu season, a welcome relief as I manage the other health issues.

Today Shelby and I subbed in for Sean and Jennifer as the lead singers of the Epiphany Church LifeTeen band, and things went smoothly and fun. I'm realizing how much I enjoy the backup-lead role. About once every quarter I get a dream chance to pretend I'm leading a band, and the rest of the time I get to provide support and harmony in many ways. All the while composing thoughts for these weekly thankfulness posts.

Dena was approached by a friend about a job opening for a marketing/graphic design employee at the Bloomington Public Library. I happened to meet the lady who would be her boss, who was impressive and community-oriented. I think they'd make a great fit if the job matches up. She'll be applying this week.

I was approached by a student desperately cramming for her 5-week online accounting class final exam, who employed me for six hours this week. She enjoyed my tutoring so much that she recommended me to the teacher. As I learn how short-supplied accounting tutors are at Heartland, this becomes an exciting possible business opportunity.

It's always nice to get some historical perspective on gratitude. Last night we watched a documentary on the final 10 days of World War II, including the heroism that many displayed to end the Nazi regime. All Americans can appreciate what they have today, as a result of those brave citizens seventy years ago.

Cupcake continues to show signs of maturity. For the first time in about three weeks my hands are nearly scratch-free, in part due to my caution but also due to her apparent sensitivity to keep her claws retracted.

As I nodded off last night I noted how surprisingly productive I'd been. It was a Saturday featuring 5 hours of tutoring. I got a load of laundry and a load of dishes done. Filed a bunch of paperwork and tallied the condo association's fees. Got all my exercise and stretching done. Took a two-hour nap (which fueled my nighttime energy burst that carried me home). Caught up on a bunch of blogging, and started the "brick scraping" project in the basement. Watched a couple of documentaries. When God provides a burst of energy, it's a rush of adrenaline!

Less than three weeks until the basketball state tournament begins, the culmination of months of preparation and a sign that spring is just around the bend. The icicles yield to rain, grass and breeze. The next cycle of hope begins!

No comments: