Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Different Kind Of Ethics

As I was leaving the job yesterday I thought about the fact that I'd passed the big boss on my way out the door. In my jacket it was clear that I was headed home for the day just after normal quitting time. Undoubtedly by his nature, he was going to be there quite a while longer.

I wondered how, if at all, he'd judge my leaving at that time. Even though he was aware of no pressing deadline that I might have, perhaps he questioned my work ethic nonetheless.

What kind of person am I, if my work ethic is less than his?

I don't often think about that phrase "work ethic." It sounds noble. Somehow the term "farmer's work ethic" rings better still. A sense of deep commitment.

Commitment to what, though?

What I think I have is a "life ethic." My personal commitment is to making the most of my gifts, to following my passions, to apply my strengths. If that leads to a certain job that I can pour myself into boundlessly without a blink, then the life ethic will also be a work ethic.

I think that a life ethic brings out the best in the people we were created to be. It empowers us to overcome circumstance. It is ethical in its own way.

Life's too short to be trapped in someone else's ethics. There is a champion's path lying out there waiting to be found and strode to victory.

No comments: