Friday, November 4, 2011

Hoop Dreams

Basketball season must be right around the corner. It's literally starting to filter into my dreams.

Two nights ago I had the mysterious dream about chasing the varsity basketball coach around the high school halls to find a VCR tape of unknown content. Last night was a montage of scenes also located in NCHS and equally unrealistic.

I'm sitting in a darkened hallway where players are loping out to get a drink of water. They are like soldiers fresh off a 24-hour battle, weary to the core, leaning against the walls for support. Evidently the coach is running them through nearly inhuman layers of sprints and other conditioning exercises with the point of being the most fit team in the state. On day 1 though, they are clearly not.

Now I'm on the court playing in a practice. We are running the offense we instituted last year.

I am in the corner near the three-point line.

My teammate on the wing is LeBron James.

At some point the flow of the offense has me standing next to LeBron. He is taller than his bio indicates. I only come up to his elbow.

Now I'm the point guard. I dribble up the court. Until, unguarded, I dribble the ball off my hip and it rolls out of bounds. At least part of it was realistic!

Tryouts start Monday. So psyched!

No comments: