Sunday, April 14, 2013

What Event(s) Changed Your Life?

It's a question that was suggested as a conversation starter at a party. Pretty deep, in my opinion.

Here are memorable ones for me:

1. My parents gave me the choice to spend the summer after my high school freshman year either working, or playing basketball. I chose basketball, got much better, played it for another 25 years, and coach it. I also learned how much improvement could happen through disciplined work.

2. I was exhausted and ready for bed around 2 a.m. one weekday morning of my freshman year of college. I'd just finished a major project for an economics class, or so I thought... then I realized that I'd made a key mistake that would require a lot of re-work. Sleep or work? I chose to work, got an A in that class, and the momentum carried for four years, and then into a 20-year career.

3. A co-worker made a remark that stirred some ego inside of me. I was tempted to spout off something that would make me feel important, but only momentarily. I fought the urge immediately, and then suppressed it for the rest of the work day. Learning to be quiet is a major development need for me.

Resisting weakness, pursuing strength physically and mentally has led to a wonderful life.

No comments: