Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Singing Brian's Song: The Week In Thanks

It's a lazy, cloudy summer afternoon and I'm cozied up under a blanket on the couch, mulling when to get up for some exercise (for me, and Cupcake). Last night Dena and I were talking about popular Netflix movies and I said that Brian's Song (drama about cancer-stricken Chicago Bears player Brian Piccolo) was the kind of show I'd wait for just the right day. Today, with the whole day ahead of me, my body steadily waking up and some blogging overdue, was that day.

We live in an age when I can sit at my desk and transfer $40,000 of funds from a condominium association's checking account to its money market account with just a few wiggles of my fingers. It's been a big help in getting us re-certified by the federal government.

Our health club lives by a "culture-fit" philosophy that's high on advertising its family values. It makes for a sunny experience from the front desk to the back hallways.

The fantasy baseball team made it into first place after being deeply behind early in the season.

We got some excellent advice to cure what we thought would be a $3,000 landscaping problem. Our water problem is solved, despite all the rain!

There's a theory that the rain and rising local creeks have sent some mice climbing for higher ground. There have been some indications around here, but all on the east side. I'm glad for that, and also a tad more glad that we're moving out in August.

My knee has been behaving relatively well recently. I'm thankful for this, considering that Gale Sayers just wrecked his knee in Brian's Song.

Sayers' depressive funk also reminds me how low things can be, and how fortunate we've been these last many years.

The swimming pool is nearly finished, complete with freshly painted floor and brand new heater.

I'm glad to have the parents I do and the upbringing I do. And, after looking at how fast James Caan can't run, the physical tools that I do.

Summer loving'!

No comments: