Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Week In Thanks, Y'all

I'm grateful for the better part of three years spent in the contemporary band at Epiphany. The chemistry was inspiring, and besides serving the community it also gave me a chance to write many of these thankfulness posts in a godly atmosphere. I've said a lot about them in posts past, but can't say enough about Sean and Jennifer Stevens, Mike Lieder, Leroy Janke, Doug Micklich, Stevie Manuel, Shelby Miller, Becca Macak, Laura Williamson, Tim Burns or Jean Vinciguerra. It's worth celebrating that Sean and Jennifer have been hired on as full time staff, helping the church and their family immensely.

Today I'm sitting at the upstairs office desk, overlooking a green wonderland with blue skies, wispy white clouds, the scent of mown grass and the faintest of breezes. It's been two years since I retired from summers spent in windowless offices. Such a big change naturally creates some turbulence in adjusting, and lately I've felt even more at peace than usual. The blessings have affirmed the lifestyle, as I helped over 50 students chase their dream of a better math grade and involved partner tutors to do so. Requests are flowing in for the summer, including group tutoring. I ran into my old boss and fellow retiree Gerry Brogla the other day and we're both enjoying our passions in this next phase of life.

Our new condominium neighbor Brooke Schumann made it into the Seussical musical at Community Players Theatre. It's always fun to meet someone with similar interests, and CPT always welcomes a new face.

I'm glad that my elbow that ailed for so long has been a model citizen for the last year. Now if my knee will just follow his lead... but the faith that it can happen has been implanted.

I surprised/joined Dena to church at Eastview and also volunteered for the stage design team that evening. It lasted from 6 til 10 on a Sunday night but was a great time to meet some new people.

Dena just asked me to review a couple hairstyles that she's considering. That sounds like something I should be thankful for... should she be? I'm fortunate to be married to someone with a sense of style. It's also helped this week as I've upgraded my wardrobe. Some of the lessons she's taught me about things that complement and clash have enabled me to shop on my own and return with something that impresses her!

Cupcake had struggled with an ear infection for months, and she's responded well to antibiotics this week. She'd developed a liquid-y rattle in her ears that's all but gone. And she is loving this weather, actually we both are. We've been taking a couple of hour-long walks a day. Good for her exercise, good for my sun, and a great time for quiet reflection.

Jack won three softball games over the weekend, and my fantasy baseball teams are both in third place. The Bulls are getting a new coach, the Blackhawks won the conference finals, and the Cubs continue their exciting youth march into a winning record.

My preliminary design of a leadership training program for the Chamber of Commerce was well-received, so the creative mind I've recently devoted to theater is now focused on helping 30 yet-unknown leaders become better developed. My enthusiasm for this is rolling right now as I try to develop a team to put it into place.

We've been dreaming of our eventual retirement home lately (twenty years ahead perhaps), and I've become fond of Round Rock, Texas. It's a suburb of Austin (home of the University of Texas) with about 100,000 people and is the international home of Dell which employs 16,000 people locally. It has a community college and a strong school system. Sounds like a certain town I know! Only with fewer "extreme" weather days (when you consider the months of windows-closed weather here... below 50 or above 90) and no income tax. We've booked a vacation there for July and, just for fun and early research, will be driving around looking at houses. Yeehah!

I've blogged before that my favorite month of the year is between May 21 and June 21. Things are merry in the McHousehold!

No comments: