Thursday, October 18, 2007

Political Failure = Personal Success

"Doing things despite, not because of, the political correctness of the path -- whether it's a small step in your life or a giant one in your career -- is the price of admission to almost every enduring life of lasting impact."

I know someone who used her passion to elevate to great heights a ministry to support local soldiers serving overseas. The process was not without difficulty, impeded by the usual inertia and resistance that comes with a radical idea. Ultimately the cause won out. What is the impact on her career as a result? I think the answer is, "Does it really matter?" She drips passion for the cause. She's averse to public speaking, yet she speaks regularly and powerfully in front of groups. She's ignited, not by doing what's popular, but by doing what's useful. And she's a success.

I suppose that the letter I recently wrote to a friend would be countercultural in some ways.

"I have faith in some things unseen, including God's existence. I'm an analytical person living in a world where human nature gives rise to exaggeration and bias in print. So, for better or worse, I've got some skepticism for the Bible's ancient sources and its occasional fantastic claims. For the most part I think that I learn Christian lessons through life experiences. My talks with God are richest when they're filled with thanks. And I'm thankful when I belong to a small group of good people, from whom I learn and grow into a better, more peaceful person.

My softball team has been a good small group for me. I love sports. Sports have been living parables. They've taught me about goals, focus, improvement, success, and failure. They've given opportunities for personal and team victory, including all the joy that comes from cheering, comforting, and getting to know each other. I'm a competitive, health-conscious, goal-oriented person, and sports are a perfect outlet.

My softball team has won more games that it's lost in recent years, and that's important to me. But it's also been vital to experience love in various forms -- open communication, selflessness, humility, and positive attitude. The captain gives everyone a chance to play before himself. He responds to every e-mail. He surveyed the entire team in trying to decide how to handle an over-sized roster, made a decision, and shared his explanation with the group. He's one of the better players, but spends his time heaping praise on everyone else. He's competitive, but even when we've lost by the slaughter rule, he has a good time and encourages us to the next week. And he enables prayer after each game -- win or lose -- in thanks to God for our time together.

That softball "ministry" is absent scriptural teaching, and full of scriptural lessons. I hope that it's regarded as a successful part of bringing people closer to God."

No comments: