Sunday, October 21, 2007

Don't Be Right, Be Effective

In follow-up to the previous post, a couple of quotes repeat the same philosophy.

"A lot of young directors love to hear themselves speak. The ones who aren't afraid to ask for help and say, hey, I've got a really strong point of view on this, but there are some things I don't know and I could really use your help. Those are the ones that you know are going to make it." -- Greg Foster, CEO, IMAX Theaters

Foster's observation speaks not only to the value of effectiveness over self-importance, but demonstrates the humility that great leaders possess and team members boundlessly appreciate.

"When you feel that you're making a contribution, that's when you get the shining eyes -- when we get up in the morning and we live that." -- Ben Zander, conductor

As important as it is to submit our ego below the goal of the group, as individuals the importance of effectiveness also demands that we find a group in which we are making a difference, and not just filling an empty seat.

I was part of two groups during the last two years. Both of these groups were charged with putting on regular, creative performances for an audience. In one group, I was regularly asked "what do you think?" and my contributions made a difference. In the other, this was not the case. Guess which group I still belong to?

No comments: