Sunday, February 17, 2008

Do Not Send Pessimistic E-mail!

I continue to learn that refraining from sending pessimistic e-mails is the way to go.

Our Leadership McLean County class was snowed out on February 1. Since then, the steering committee and liaison have taken no action to reschedule the day. The class has asked me for a new date so that they can get it onto their calendars. I hoped to get a date picked at the February committee meeting.

Unfortunately, the meeting date was moved to one such that I could not attend.

It turned out that no date was chosen at the meeting in my absence. Their only result was to point out the challenges of a date that I'd proposed.

Would I be justified to vent frustration? Probably. Would that be the best solution? I think not. I kept my remarks to the facts... of the "what's the next step" variety. And things moved along.

It goes back to observations by Ben Franklin, that what matters is not rights (such as the right to timely information), but usefulness (how do we succeed from here). Or of Lincoln, that we all make mistakes and should judge gracefully.

The mantra has served me well since I adopted it two years ago. When angry, it's best to focus on usefulness rather than venting. Once calm, then address how to prevent recurrence of the situation in the future.

No comments: