Thursday, February 21, 2008

Hip to be Broken

My friend Sharon McCauley recently fell in her home, which broke her hip and sent her to the hospital for an extended stay. Sharon's one of those folks who defines selflessness and passion, starting a now-powerful support group for American soldiers from scratch.

When I visited her, she was replaying the event over and over in her head. "If only I'd done this, or not done this..."

As a person who's blogged before about my problem with replaying the past like this, I can offer the health benefits of accepting that things happen for a reason beyond our control. Dreading what's happened, and why, only cakes our arteries with plaque and wastes time. We turn setbacks into good memories by toughing it out, mentally moving on to the brighter future.

No comments: