Saturday, February 23, 2008

Spring Training - Fantasy Style

Every year in mid-February I look forward to my favorite magazine of the year.

The Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue comes to my door. And I couldn't care less. In fact, what makes me happiest about it is that I can pass it along to the boys in Iraq through the Military Affinity Group.

No, what I'm talking about are the wide selection of fantasy baseball previews. I prefer the CBS Sports version, with full paragraphs about each major league player that give me insight as to their health issues, their relationship to their manager, and whether or not their contract is about up. Further, it shows projected lineups, which help to tell how many at-bats each player can be expected to receive.

Passion is defined by the activities that you can do for hours and lose track of time. This year, team Pure Hustle 10 will mark my tenth year playing fantasy baseball against perfect strangers. Fantasy drafts can make or break a season, especially if a last minute flip-flop in ranking is the difference between landing an injury-slowed Ryan Howard and AL MVP Alex Rodriguez.

The temperature's hovering in the 30s, but summer never seemed so near!

No comments: