Friday, November 28, 2008

Brick Walls

A man's girlfriend of many years suddenly told him that she didn't love him. It had been a long-distance relationship and he was in town for just the week.

"In the hotel, I spent much of the day on the phone with my parents, telling them about the brick wall I'd just smashed into. Their advice was incredible.

'Look,' my dad said. 'I don't think she means it. It's not consistent with her behavior thus far. You've asked her to pull up roots and run away with you. She's probably confused and scared to death. If she doesn't really love you, then it's over. And if she does love you, then love will win out.'

I asked my parents what I should do.

'Be supportive,' my mom said. 'If you love her, support her.'

And so I did that. I spent that week teaching, hanging out in an office up the hall from her. I stopped by a couple of times, however, just to see if she was all right. 'I just wanted to see how you are,' I'd say. 'If there's anything I can do, let me know.'

A few days later, she called. 'Well, I'm sitting here missing you, just wishing you were here. That means something, doesn't it?'

She had come to a realization: She was in love, after all. Once again, my parents had come through. Love had won out. At week's end, she moved to Pittsburgh.

Brick walls are there for a reason. They give us a chance to see how badly we want something." - Randy Pausch

No comments: