Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Wal-Man

"If I had to single out one element in my life that has made a difference for me, it would be a passion to compete." - Sam Walton

I appreciate any insight from a self-made multi-billionaire. Competition has a price, namely the risk of excluding other things, which in Walton's case was free time. The man couldn't pass by a competing store without going inside to scout its practices, and that includes on family vacations. Some would read that last sentence and smile, some frown, which testifies to the diversity of people. The point is that if you're deeply passionate about something then in time some people will be drawn to you, and some drawn away. That's not a problem - it's nature. With a few noteworthy exceptions, the problem comes if the passionate person interprets those drawn away to be inferior in any way.

Yesterday I learned that a teammate of mine has determined that he will exercise more control over the team's budget than has been done by prior people in his position. In fact, the rest of the team's input has been reduced to nothing on those matters. Further, that teammate is often not present for discussion. I've learned from other situations that I'm less successful in that type of team dynamic - my particular passion is for empowerment of the team. But I also know people who thrive in that environment. So if I need to move on, I can do so with a light heart, knowing that both parties are better off.

No comments: