Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Textbooks Would Be Cheap

"It troubles me that we spend years in school learning about the lives of other people, but we devote hardly any time to studying ourselves." - Les Brown

I can understand the stereotype of the nagging senior the more I look back at the mistakes of the past. The other day I caught myself feeling so pessimistic about something that I pondered quitting. Experience has taught me that when I feel like this, it's usually because I'm just tired and crabby. The next morning, I was completely enthused about the activity. What a shame it would've been to quit!

The body's a fascinating organic machine, without quite enough gauges to prevent us from blowing a gasket every once in a while. Knowing how to read ourselves, sorting out reality through the sea of chemical and hormonal messages flooding through the pipes, keeps us from holding down the accelerator a bit too long and hurtling over the edge.

No comments: