Sunday, March 22, 2009

Turning Failure Into Dust

"Pessimists respond to this rejection by personalizing: 'It's my fault. My proposal isn't good enough and neither am I'; assuming the failure is permanent: 'I blew it. They'll never give me another opportunity'."

"Optimists respond with a much different and more adaptive inner dialogue. Instead of blaming themselves for the rejection, the optimists think, 'The members of this board aren't receptive to innovation; I will have to think of a stronger way to get through to them. New board members are elected next quarter. I will try again then.'"

The act of failure is but dust. We choose to either compact that dust into a brick wall and set it in our mind to weigh us down, or to blow it away with a smile and the confidence of learning and a brighter tomorrow.

No comments: