Sunday, February 14, 2010

High/Low Week 6 2010

While it's as much of a credit to Dena as due to any personal accomplishment, I'm glad to say that I don't recall any moments at home this week where irritation got the best of me. Granted I'm thirty years older now, but it's been one of my lifelong tendencies to treat least respectfully those who are closest to me. Jack caught the brunt of that when we were kids... any any week where some false air of supremacy or entitlement fails to conquer me is one worth treasuring.

I would say that I let my guard down a little too much at work though. We have a job opening in our unit, and one fellow named Ted asked about it. Two of us set up a time to answer any questions about the job that he might have. And when he walked in, I called him "Tom." Now it's common that the most beautiful sound in the world is that of one's own name. Is there any greater gesture of indifference or insignificance than for someone not to take the time to master even your name? It was a shame, because he's an impressive candidate for the skills we need, and if that simple mistake ends up tipping the scales in the wrong direction - such is fate.

I also got loose-tongued during a meeting to evaluate employees. Hidden Bloggers know my affection for facilitating conversations, and I'm really in my element in leading a discussion on proper performance ratings ("calibrations," as they say) for three dozen employees. And I let it go to my head, slipping out a couple of comments that showed bias that didn't help the conversation. Later, I raised my voice in a way that was too domineering. People do what people see - I need to keep the process ahead of any personal opinion of mine, and keep an easy peace about me. In those few moments, I lost it.

It's a high moment whenever I reflect on how deeply fortunate we are. It happened to hit me while taking a hot bath while recovering from a healthy run of playing basketball and a quick meal. Here I sat, with a practically unlimited supply of water. Of soap and fresh clothes. Of time to exercise. Of food and drink. Of shelter from the elements. Of materials to read. I've the gifts of health, and companionship, and freedom. Athletic, musical, and intellectual abilities. And positive role models aplenty.

I was pleased to see that we can likely rent an SUV with plenty of room to bring fun stuff down to Hatteras for vacation this summer. The rates are about half as affordable as our usual flying excursions in recent years, even factoring in gas costs. For an economy car guy like me, getting there in comparative cruise-control, CD-player, 6-cylinder enriched style is a vacation from the norm for me all by itself!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't quite see you driving an SUV, however....I can see that more than I can imagine you 'loosing it'.

Great post. Sometimes those journal type entries are just enough to wipe the emotional slate clean, and start again!

Joe McDonald said...

Amen! To think of being taller than at least one other vehicle on the road... what a treat. And with cruise control, to get out of the car without a severely frozen partially bent right leg. What's next, Garmin?

Anonymous said...

Garmin? Remember our fiasco last year using her? By now we should all know our way anyways!