Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A League Not My Own

I got a call at work from an acquaintance through my coaching at NCHS. The adult basketball team he plays on was desperate for players and trying to avoid forfeit.

This was my first time playing in any sort of league in about five years. I was shorter than, well, their entire team. And our team consisted of at least two other players who were also playing for the first time this season (which I learned was the last regular season game).

In a way, we won the game, and in a way, I played well. I boxed out so well that the refs were sliding compliments to me on the side, especially when I drew their star player into a foul by coming over my back. There were my two steals. My turnover-free offense. My dozen screens, a couple of which sprung my teammates for shots that they made wide open.

However, they had one Brian Crabtree, 6'7" forward who starred for the Illinois Wesleyan national championship team years ago. His thirty or so points from under the hoop and beyond the three point line, several rebounds, blocked shots and assists to unguarded teammates (due to our need to double team him) was enough to give them the 11-point win. And I missed my one shot.

I did get an invitation to return for the postseason tournament. So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

No comments: