Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Heavin' A Ball: The Week In Thanks

This week's thankfulness post is a couple days late, on account of my first date with bowel-churning flu in about a quarter century. My strength's returning but we'll still keep things brief.

Our basketball season ended in a hard-fought loss in the regional championship game. Seemingly each game brings me a new lesson in coaching or living from the coaches, and their passion for success showed glowingly in a series of post-season e-mails. The new season has begun!

I had three tutoring appointments on Sunday afternoon, and am up to five active students (and a couple who are doing well enough that they no longer need tutoring). It's funny how just as one student rolls off, another comes aboard. And I'm reaching the point where I can start talking about patterns of mistakes that are easily correctable.

As Dena puts it, you know it's bad when it's coming out both ends. Twenty-four hours and at least a dozen conferences with the toilet later, my temperature recovered from the 101.5 peak. I dropped five pounds to my low point of the year, and only today have started eating solid foods again. Where would I have been without her? She got me cold towels, ginger ale, soup and aspirin. Sat with me for a few stretches to take my mind off the misery.

Today it's 65 degrees and sunny outside. After sleeping fitfully for the last couple of days, I finally felt able enough to do a quick lap around the complex just to shake out the legs. It's beautiful out there.

I won't throw the word 'miracle' around loosely, but these bodies of ours that have the ability to rally themselves back to robust health after dizzying peril are truly amazing.

Things are back to normal tomorrow. So lucky to have this body and this life!

No comments: