Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Emotional Muscles

The other day I read someone's opinion that "emotions make you weak."

I do think that there are weakening emotions. Anger, in particular, has ravaging effects on the body long-term. Fear is another, though it comes in helpful when a bear is chasing you. These two have a way of charging onto many scenes for us, clouding our ability to make sound decisions and draining us of physical and mental energy.

I'd rather practice the art of defusing them, to strengthen those emotional muscles toward the optimistic side. Just practicing my smile is a part of it, and then exercising it often. Envisioning that any bad break could be much worse, and has a (sometimes hidden) benefit to it.

Yesterday I sprained something in my foot during a run. Today I ought to stay off of it. But I can still work out my arms, so I will find my way to the gym. Fear of pain along the way will not rule the mission. The greater good will.

No comments: