Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Truth About Failing

"Failing doesn't make you a failure. Failure makes you a competitor... Tough people fail, but tough people are not failures. The only failures are those who give up, or give in." - Jay Bilas

I hate to fail. I don't handle it well. The demons of surrender are as strong in me as in anyone else. And settling for that, rationalizing the failures of the past as part of who I am, the product of some dominant gene, or whatever, creates a lasting failure.

The truth is that some of my greatest failures have taught the greatest lessons and led to the greatest results. The F in social studies as an 8th grader launched a full scholarship to college. Riding the end of the freshman bench in high school was the springboard to becoming a varsity captain.

We get the chance to compete all our lives, against ourselves and the circumstances which may tilt in opposition. How will we win?

No comments: