Monday, November 11, 2013

Do Something You're Afraid Of Every Day

"In order to be able to do anything really amazing or courageous, we need to be able to act even when we're afraid. This is learned skill. The more you do it, the better you get at it. Practicing in small ways can help you build the momentum for something bigger. Maybe it's asking that cute girl out at the grocery store, or negotiating a price when you don't feel comfortable haggling, or speaking up at work when normally you keep quiet. Whatever you're afraid of, practice doing it."

The article I posted earlier this week about personality types has got me thinking about becoming more of an extrovert. I tend to be passive in groups, so tonight's basketball tryout would normally have me doing more listening than talking; I made a point to be constantly coaching. Also, I tend not to go out of my way to introduce myself to others; today I made a point to walk up to a couple of people I see regularly at work but had not yet introduced myself to. You become what you practice, whether that's a fearful or loving person.

No comments: