Sunday, November 10, 2013

One Way Leaders Open The Door To Success

"Kobe," a teammate said, "you can do anything you want on the court, but it's like you don't need us. We want to feel life you need us."

"You're grown men," he thinks. "And you're right, I don't need you."

Then he considers the courage it took for Fox to speak up.

"I had to respond. I had to be as transparent with them as they were with me. I opened myself up to let them know what my insecurities are. Once your culture becomes such that your leader communicates, then everybody does the same. We still didn't hang out together off the court, but on the road we'd all go out for dinner. I learned that a lot gets accomplished over dinner and a drink."

A person who shares often, and makes himself vulnerable, earns trust. There's no need to oversell yourself as a fool or flawless, just to communicate the truth openly and regularly.

No comments: