Saturday, November 2, 2013

Turning Straw Into Gold

"Our deepest suffering is often our greatest opportunity to learn about ourselves and take action to be better people. Working through suffering is how you learn to be patient, humble, and grateful. And developing strength in the face of painful circumstances teaches you that you don't need to fear the natural ups and downs of life, and instead can face whatever comes your way with inner calm and peace."

The other day I found myself deliberately accelerating to prevent a car from pulling ahead of me on the road. In that moment my instinct was entirely selfish, fighting for an almost completely insignificant cause to save a couple milliseconds of time. From where does this instinct come? How do I develop myself to handle it more maturely in the future? Though the incident was far from "suffering," the challenge is to self-reflect before it leads to something greater.

Patience, humility, gratefulness... the building blocks of peace. The calm upon life's ripples.

No comments: