Friday, January 17, 2014

Another New Job... Not!

I was intrigued by an internal job posting at Heartland Community College. Its requirements included spreadsheet work, supervisory experience, strong communication and organization skills - all of which I have and then some. So I put in an application over winter break since the school was closed and I couldn't fully research until then.

Yesterday I walked over to the area where my office would be. The lighting was dim, the office was on a corridor in the far back. The department was empty. The break area was filled with disorganized stacks of dated materials. I peeked into my theoretical boss's office, where it looked like a tornado had given birth to another tornado and then battled it to the death.

I made an easy walk back to the tutoring lab and politely withdrew my application. Even if they'd offered $50,000 a year I don't think it would've been worth the prospect of a work environment like that. Research pays off, and appearance matters!

No comments: