Sunday, January 26, 2014

Little Bit Of Heaven

A wise, dying man once told me "be thankful that you have your health." That was a good thirty years ago, and the quiet intensity of his voice has been imprinted on my mind ever since. It's a gift that's kept on giving. It's been a year of unprecedented health issues for me, but last night I watched the film "Little Bit of Heaven" about a successful young executive who dies from colon cancer (and thankfully discovers the love of her life along the way), and it reminded me how healthy I really am. I can still do cardio and most any activity with my legs, can still type and do almost any household chore. The doc has finally straightened out my vision to be completely unblurred. I can eat almost anything from my famously finicky diet without pain. My kidneys have been pain-free for months. My hearing's been clear for so many months that I've lost count. And through it all my mind has never wavered, a fully functioning machine for teaching, acting, writing, singing, playing and entrepreneuring. Not to mention the practically endless supply of fresh food and water that over a quarter of the world's population could only dream of. It is a little bit of heaven on earth!

No comments: