Tuesday, March 31, 2015

2015 Goals Update

It's notable that I skipped an update in February, and that it's with an usual sense of relief that I was able to get 50 posts done this month. Frankly, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels siphoned much of my creative willpower. Thanks to NCHS making the state championship game, I was able to limp across the finish line with an hour to spare this month. As I recharge with new freedom and take stock of the rest of my goals, how did it go?

Physical Health

Exercise/stretch 5+ days per week 
By choice, I've reduced to 3 days a week of exercise to allow my knee a breather (see below). However, I haven't stretched much at all, which would've helped me hit this goal as I should have. Like I said, DRS took a lot out of me.

Body fat 14%
Check. The fat-o-meter's been reading less than 13% recently.

Healthy knee
I visited the Sports Enhancement Center and got yet a third opinion that my knee is structurally sound. I'm set up with at least one physical therapy appointment to see if I can learn some new exercises. I have cut my running in half, which has provided some relief.

Fruits/vegetables 5+ days per week
Check.

Increased use of sunscreen and other skin care products
Check, though my usage did drop off a bit, maybe a third of the days in the last two months.

Financial Health

Expenses below 2014 levels
I still need to finalize what the 2014 levels were. I have done a good job of shopping at Sam's Club and thinking through purchase decisions. Plus I've been more selective in my medical health, no fliers with a chiropractor for example.

Improved tutoring records
Long way to go here. In fact I've been as bad as I've ever been. Still keeping up generally with invoices, but not with travel or other records.

Community Engagement

Volunteer for a new organization
No real progress to report here. I did explore a treasurer need at the PATH crisis center, but it seemed more like a mere mouthpiece without real access to the financial reports.

Develop and execute a marketing plan for tutoring
I've had several meetings with another tutor to discuss business possibilities, and I have recruited a total of three assistants to carry me through 15 students who I'd otherwise have had to say no to. That's been the most profound blessing of the year so far.

Personal Character And Leadership

Blog thanks weekly
Almost total whiff on this one, which is probably more serious than it seems on the surface. My spirit's been dragging a bit with the setback of failing in the DRS auditions, and one could fairly say I've spent less time being thankful these last two months than in any similar period in recent memory. Time to get that spark back.

Make 10 new acquaintances, including a mentoring relationship
Through DRS I met at least three new people I can now call friends. I haven't followed through on the mentoring idea.

Lead condominium association projects, such as new driveway (completed January)

Arrive early/discipline
I've continued to do "C" level work on this one, maybe sliding toward "C minus."

Summary

This has been a definitive two-month stretch that's led me to put theater in my rear view window for now. The next month is primed to be an energy surge, applying myself in arenas where my talent + hard work is enough to achieve my goals. Failure is the great teacher, a provider of chances to get stronger simply by getting up. I'm already back to logging 9-hour tutoring days with more requests pouring in. I'm back in the zone.

No comments: