Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Finding The Rush

I remember from my actuarial days when a retired former department head visited us for a half hour. A comment that stuck with me was the "adrenaline rush" he felt as he came to work every morning.

At the time, the seed of the idea to leave actuarial work hadn't been planted in my mind, but my instant reaction was "I've almost never had an adrenaline rush coming to work."

Now, I understand why.

This afternoon texts flowed in an out speedily as I busily juggled the schedules of many of my 30 students. The timing of tests, quizzes, sports, spring breaks, plays and illness makes scheduling a continual mental ballet. It is a complicated and difficult task. For a person who finds it uninspiring (read: Joe in several actuarial projects) this could have been tedious at best, and nearly torturous at worst. But I thrive in it. The adrenaline rush of meeting the needs of hundreds of people (especially when you include parents) just in time, by using creative strengths, leads me into 8-hour tutoring marathons without hesitation, and sometimes without remembering to build in a meal.

My advice: Explore vocations until you find your rush.

No comments: