Friday, March 27, 2015

Why Live?

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." - Nietzche

I generally believe that God's put us here for a reason, a little different for each of us. This quote was cited by baseball manager Clint Hurdle, who managed his Pittsburgh Pirates baseball team while enduring agonizing physical pain from a degenerative hip. But because he believed in his mission, he stuck it out.

There was a time when I thought that maybe coaching or acting might be that driving purpose. The closest thing I have at the moment is teaching, which is a fine place to be. I still find the thought of the occasional 12-hour tutoring day during finals week to be as exciting as pulling a child safely from a burning building.

I've been invited by five different people in the last week to participate in various theater shows. Like a decade ago, when several people suggested that I consider joining the seminary, it's been a test of discerning my real gifts. It's a blessing to be gifted enough to be called, and also to be old enough to know better.

No comments: