Sunday, August 5, 2007

Come to Jesus

Today I completed an awaited project -- by singing the song "Come to Jesus" as a solo in front of about 500 people during Communion at Calvary United Methodist Church. Rosann Diedrich, our friend of many years who along with her husband John introduced Dena and me 12 years ago, accompanied on piano. Dena will probably be thankful, as she's endured my singing the song over a hundred times around the house during the three months since we got it on the calendar, often in the morning shower. I did have to get up at the "ungodly" hour of 6:00 to get loose in time, and it paid off. The sound system worked, the voice and Rosann's playing were sharp. The congregation looked fairly riveted by the end, which surprised me -- I figured that they'd be munching on wafers and lost in enjoyment of the aftertaste of grape juice.

No comments: