Thursday, November 1, 2007

Fantasy Basketball

I've been scouring ESPN magazine and Sports Illustrated for the last two weeks in prep for another exciting season of fantasy basketball.

Here's how it works: 12 players draft a team of real NBAers. 9 different statistics are tracked cumulatively, so as each NBA player gathers rebounds, makes a 3-pointer, etc. my total score goes up. If you end the season with the most rebounds you get 12 points, fewest gets 1. So the maximum points are 9 x 12 = 108.

Here's how I did last year: Awful. But not unexpectedly. As a rookie last year, I didn't invest any time in the draft, letting the computer pick based on its own ranking. I ended up with no notable rebounders, traded away a top scorer to get a middling rebounder, and spent the rest of the year chasing futilely to a 7th place, 59 point finish.

This year: The crop's looking much better. Last year's stats project that my team this year would earn 74.5 points. Last year's league champ had 79 points. Opening night was yesterday, and I currently sit at 71.5. "Teach Me The Rules" is our team name, for good reason last year. This year we'll overcome!

No comments: