Thursday, November 1, 2007

Fantasy Football

Instinctively I'm lukewarm toward fantasy football. I tend to be a heavy researcher, and enjoy the day-to-day hunt for the hidden gem of a player in fantasy baseball and basketball leagues. There's a certain predictability to the stats, and by studying recent trends there's eternal hope that I'll unearth someone getting hot in just the stats that I need, at just the right time. Football, on the other hand, with its tiny 16-game sample size, more unpredictable weather, and high rate of injury, is more of an exercise in good luck. And so far my 4-4 record has all the sense of a coin-flipping contest; unlike the other fantasy sports, each week is a head-to-head matchup. We're sitting in 6th place of a 10-team league, but having won 3 of the last 4 weeks and facing the 9th place team, there's good reason to think brightly!

No comments: