Monday, November 5, 2007

This One Job I Do

From the Christian Bible's pages comes the quote "This one thing I do," highlighting the importance of taking care of today, and letting tomorrow take care of itself. Here's another from Teddy Roosevelt:

"At one period I began to believe that I had a future before me, and that it behooved me to be very far-sighted and scan each action carefully with a view to its possible effect on that future. This speedily made me useless to the public and an object of aversion to myself; and I then made up my mind that I would try not to think of the future at all, but would proceed on the assumption that each office I held would be the last I even should hold, and I would confine myself to trying to do my work as well as possible while I held that office. I found that for me personally this was the only way in which i could either enjoy myself or render good service to the country, and I never afterward deviated from this plan."

Roosevelt acknowledged that fate is too difficult to foresee, much less manage. And he'd know that as well as anyone, since he ascended to at least two posts (including President) due to the untimely death of his predecessor!

Plus I'd say personally that my career's become much more peaceful, and I've added credibility with those who work with me that I'm selfless in my interests, since I started building a 20-year plan for my current job, rather than a 3-year plan to reach my next one.

No comments: