Sunday, July 26, 2009

Standards

At the beginning of the 2004 season Coach K admitted to his staff that his instincts had escaped him as to the poor start the team had experienced.

"Coach," said former star Johnny Dawkins, "it's all about standards."

That kicked the coach back into high gear. The team had slowly been sliding in its expectations of itself. In short order, fueled by this self-awareness, they turned their season around.

This week I slid a bit on my usual diet. I read this week that for an estimated 37 percent of Americans, the pangs of thirst are so weak as to be mistaken for hunger. In one study no less than 100% study participants saw their midnight cravings diminish by drinking a glass of water at bedtime. In my case, I think I not only got away from curing pangs with a sip instead of a snack, but I also gorged a bit. Life's about the slow, steady march of patience... in this case, to let my food settle in to my stomach before swallowing another round of sandwiches, or whatever. Standards, given time, contribute to excellence.

No comments: