Sunday, February 12, 2012

Wins And A Wandering Winter Weekend: The Week In Thanks

For the first time in about six months, when I started experiencing some tightness in my shoulders, I got back into some light weight lifting at the gym. I'm using a new routine thanks to some Men's Health research into NBA star Blake Griffin's workout, and the morning-after soreness was a familiar and encouraging sign that fat-burning muscle is in the early stages of growth. Alternating weights with cardio six days a week was a great program for trimming lean, and with summer several months away the timing's about right.

On Friday night both boys' basketball teams turned back Eisenhower as expected. Meanwhile niece Kelsey's team rolled deeper into the state playoffs with a win over Peoria Christian. Due to some tournament confusion for our freshman team, an opening arose to coach the team for an upcoming  weekend. Although it ultimately turned out that I wasn't eligible to do so, I was nominated by varsity head coach Witzig originally to fill the gap. Along with an earlier vote of confidence from Coach Short, it feels like I must be doing something right. Plus, we had a complimentary dinner with the other coaches and their wives on Thursday night.

Unusually, we had no basketball scheduled this weekend, and it was a relaxing time to get caught up on some things. Besides getting a good workout in, there was plenty of blogging, shirts cleaned, laundry folded, movie watched, home cooked meal with Dena, oil changed, and a bunch of research done on mutual funds in quest for a top-performing one. Oh, and I slept in until 10:30 this morning. Ahhhh.

In the world of tutoring it was exciting to see a response come through my web site. As it turned out it wasn't a specific request for me, just a notice that someone in Bloomington-Normal had posted a need for a tutor. Still, it was a sign of life to prove that this is no sham site, so an exciting development nonetheless. I got a call from a referral, one of my former students passed my name to a friend, whose parents asked me if I could help their son. That brings me up to 4 students active with me right now, two of whom are doing crazy well. This afternoon I met with one who was practically in tears of excitement from acing a recent test. She's bright and also gets help from her parents and friends so it's not all me by any means, but it's just another example of God bringing people into my life who make it a hue brighter.

Speaking of brighter, I got to catch up with my long time friend Brandi on Thursday. She could probably power a small African nation with all the energy she has.

Hidden Bloggers have seen my posts earlier this week about crucial conversations and Captain Assertive. It's been a week of personal growth through challenges. By the end of the work week I was caught up with my inbox and had handled a number of new problems successfully. I've come to richly appreciate any week that ends so cleanly, since in a customer service industry the unexpected is just around the corner.

I was able to get Dena an early Valentine's Day surprise, as well as a husband-quality massage to alleviate some irritating soreness. Suffice to say it's nice to be able to relieve a pain in her neck for once, rather than causing it!

We are more than halfway through winter, folks. Today was as clear and sunny as a summer day. Before we know it, we can even step outside and get the whole package.

No comments: