Saturday, June 9, 2012

Long Line Of Nobility

"I long to accomplish a great and noble task; but it is my chief duty and job to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble." - Anonymous

I auditioned for a lead role in Damn Yankees and got a smaller one. In my life of coaching, working and playing, I've come to appreciate so deeply the value the a role player makes on a team that I'm resolved to fulfill it here. (And, I'll admit, it's not terribly disappointing that I was unimpressive in auditioning for the role of the devil.)

I think of Alex Prus, the hand-slapping, beaming high school sophomore guard who pushed everyone in practice and celebrated them in games.

Or Daniel Imode, my high school and Hairspray cast member who had a bright smile and friendly word to say every time I walked past him... the guy I picked up in a bear hug after he belted out "Run and Tell That" as an understudy for another lead.

Or Parker Fields, the forward on last year's hoops team who rarely said two words, but played hard all summer, fall and winter off the bench and helped snuff out our opponents during crucial stretches in winning the sophomore tournament.

Or Chris Terven, the man of a thousand talents and 2 hours' sleep, who did 95% of his work backstage and was the glue that held much of the Hairspray ship together.

I could go on and on. Claron Sharrieff, Bridgette Richard, Tony Smith... all these engines of resilience and humility that made their teams better. My turn on this great and noble task.


No comments: