Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Shooting For The Stars, No, Wait, Maybe Just Halfway

"Success is not perfection; success is slightly above average." - Anonymous

Educators might or might not agree with that statement, but the broader message is appealing. Does the life of my child, spouse, or self have to strive for some idealized standard of perfection in order to be happy, to feel that I've succeeded?

It hits home a little. There will be a viewing party the video of our Hairspray performance sometime later this year. I know if I watch it I may be consumed with the myriad little details I never quite got right in 12 shows, whether due to sickness, concentration, or circumstance.

But maybe the point is not really to watch the scenes I'm in during in the show, since many of us tend to be hardest on ourselves. It's more about letting others enjoy those scenes, while I enjoy the rest. I know that patrons loved the show enough to sell them out. So we were at least slightly above average. And that really ought to be good enough. It really ought to feel like success.

No comments: