Saturday, June 30, 2012

Is Hard Work A Skill?

Thoughtful question from a friend:

I sometimes wonder if hard work is in itself a skill. If your weakness is self-improvement, how do you overcome that?

From my personal experience I'd conclude that hard work and self-improvement is about attitude rather than skill. A person who values hard work will work hard. With that said, I didn't learn the value of hard work and its rewards until I was forced to play basketball one summer against varsity players by my parents. It was the improvement and success that followed, and not the act of being forced, that made the difference. I suppose it could also be sparked by the presence of the right role model, or painting a vivid picture of how good life can be. These days I have faith that if I apply myself, I will improve... and the idea of improving always sounds a lot better to me than the other direction (there's rarely a true middle state).

But I'd be fascinated to hear about counterexamples.

No comments: