Sunday, March 3, 2013

Panch Or Coneybear? The Week In Thanks

The sun returned from its week-long vacation to the great delight of us central Illinoisans. And by next week we'll  have more than a full extra hour of daylight in the evening. At that point it becomes true that I could come home from the office with plenty of time to sit by the pool for some sunlight reading. Now all we need is for the temperature to cooperate.

Actually, it will take more than that, because for the first time ever I have ten hours of tutoring scheduled in a week. Requests have flowed in all week long. Junior high through college senior. Algebra through actuarial science. And it just so happens that they are all motivated students, talented enough to show real improvement. I feel lucky for all the referrals, and the gift of satisfied students and parents.

With basketball season in the rear view mirror (except for the still-commanding fantasy basketball lead), I spent two hours on the bike/treadmill reading fantasy baseball magazines for the upcoming three seasons on the docket. Each has a different scoring system, so each needs slightly different analysis. A perfect fit for a Saturday afternoon.

I signed up to help out at Epiphany Catholic Church's Easter Sunday performance, and am looking forward to the chance to say hey to the friends in the band and help the congregants celebrate the most popular day of the year.

Yesterday I watched Dena in action developing a new marketing campaign for her bank. Her newest idea is energetic and exciting (and, I suppose, best kept secret until it launches). Her creativity is amazing! How'd I get so lucky? It's less than three weeks until our 15th wedding anniversary, and fun plans are in the works for it.

I got the condo association's tax return done. I've been in the bookkeeping game for them for over ten years now. Our financial health is strong, our neighborhood is peaceful and safe.

The biggest drama in life right now is... well... drama itself. Two weeks until the audition for 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee at Community Players theater. It's a small cast and my singing voice suits two of the characters: Vice Principal Panch and Leaf Coneybear.


I'm enjoying both roles the more I study them, have picked out my audition music and ready for the dancing part. If I don't get a part, that will just be God's way of telling me to spend more time tutoring students. Win-win!

People have been coughing all around me the last week. I'm thankful for my immune system and, of course, the power of Flintstones fruity chewable vitamins. Being fortified has never tasted so good!

Tomorrow kicks off a dynamic work week. We get a long-awaited new employee on our team, and I'm running an important meeting with company executives first thing Tuesday morning. One of the best gifts that comes with age and faith is the trust that in the end, everything will turn out fine as long as I give my best effort and keep smiling. I hope you all can carry the same peace on your face and in your soul this week.

No comments: