Monday, July 29, 2013

Angels Among Us: The Week In Thanks

Close to home, I'm glad that God built us with pairs of stuff. 2 eyes, ears, nostrils. So that when one's not working, you can carry on. Lately I'd add "sides of mouth" to that list, since I've got a tooth that's complaining every time I put pressure or temperature on it. My guess is that during Darwinian evolution the one-eyed version of man became extinct because he kept falling over cliffs when his eye was blurry, and the three-eyed ones just weren't mate-able.

Our neighbors coordinated a cookout/Wiffle ball game. I set a personal best, going 7 for 8 with two home runs (including a grand slam) and hitting for the cycle, and pitching three innings. It's super to have neighbors who sponsor this kind of thing. But mainly I thank... Aleve. I popped one before the game, and my joints were just fine the next day. Oh, and Neosporin for post-game knee scrapes. Drugs are good.

All three of my fantasy baseball teams moved up the standings this week. One of them even sniffed 3rd place.

My interviewers for the tutoring job at the community college were kind and it went well.

We had an entire weekend of gorgeous, humidity-free and sunshine-plentiful days.

I'm thankful for dump sites for hazardous pool chemicals. Cuz without them, we'd be up a creek trying to ditch our 5-year old chlorine and comply with state regs. Sure I have to drive 100 miles to get there, but still.

I'm thankful for upholstery businesses. The trusty Saturn is going to get a long-overdue makeover on the interior, so that passengers will no longer suspect that a cat lives under my seats and uses the roof as a scratching post.

After reading SNL's Darrell Hammond's biography, and the atrocious physical and mental abuse he suffered as a child, I'm extra reminded of what a great set of parents I had to raise me into a man.

Holy belated thanks, Batman: World champion Blackhawks in mega-dramatic fashion!

Ben Franklin invented the library. It's really an amazing concept and gift to the community. Read books for free. And it saves me all kinds of overhead cost for my tutoring business. So thanks, Ben.

This week I got my first ever referral through my personal web site, bntutor.com. Prepaid $140 in advance, which nearly pays for the site itself. Oh yeah.

I've been blessed by the gifts of massage and physical therapists. They've taught me to stay flexible and athletic as I've aged and stiffened, and repaired several aches and pains of mine during the last decade.

I'm fortunate to be a generally patient person. It makes me a better teacher and husband. It's a strength I haven't always had. My genes, mind, friends and family have brought it out of me.

Lastly, a musical note of thanks to God and Alabama, my group du jour. May your week be filled with angels too!

No comments: