Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sweet Talk: The Week In Thanks

"Do you like chocolate?"

This is one of many reasons I'm thankful to be part of the NCHS basketball program. Head varsity coach Witzig is in a highly influential position but he treats you like an equal. He constantly reads to improve, brainstorms new ideas. He gets just as excited about others' ideas as his own. His job is rich with potential for micromanagement, but his reaction to suggestions is "Yeah, let's see if we can do that!" instead of to weigh the practical issues. I could learn something from that. It makes me feel appreciated. And that's a motivator for me.

The skill I may admire the most, though, is striking up conversations. His enthusiasm for getting to know people is magnetic. Unlike many, it doesn't come across with a hidden agenda, or self-promotion (again, I could learn something from that). He takes a genuine interest in others. While sitting in Culver's slurping down ice cream, it would probably never occur to me to ask someone as simple of a question as whether or not he liked chocolate. But the care it shows leaves an impression.

The coaches huddled over breakfast on Friday and talked about ways to improve the program, tossing out ideas for yay or nay feedback. I'm thankful that the guys are passionate enough about the game and each other to just hang out and "fire bullets" of ideas into the air.

Dena spent four hours in the morning heat yesterday doing a build for Habitat for Humanity, came home and worked on graphic design projects, went for some exercise, then went out for a date night that lasted until around midnight (yes, with me). So many spouses might be selfish slugs, but Dena keeps on inspiring.

I'm glad to be back involved with the McLean County Chamber of Commerce and Leadership McLean County. The programming available to network with others is a boost to the tutoring business, as well as a way to get out of the house and have new mini-adventures. I've met business owners who provide plumbing, chiropractic, magazines, painting, temp jobs, human resources, legal services, rock climbing, and insurance to name a few.

I'm thankful for sunscreen. It lets me enjoy the vitamin-D boosting rays of the outdoors, and the tranquility of nature itself, with plentiful protection against both UVA (accelerates aging) and UVB (accelerates burning) rays. My body is highly tolerant of heat and humidity, so I've feasted on these roaring summer days and the occasional dip into the pool while reading for both education and pleasure.

I'm glad that recently I have the time to meditate on the future, reflect on the joys of the past, and relish the present. Time to do the little things that feed a peaceful environment like re-organize my financial records and clean house. Time to exercise my body and mind. Time to support my friends by attending Aida. Time to give thanks.

No comments: