Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Habits Of The Rich Vs. The Poor

A study of hundreds of rich and poor people by a financial planner determined that habits play a larger role in success than luck:

44% of the wealthy rise 3 hours before work starts.

88% read for self improvement at least 30 minutes per day, vs. 2% of poor.

76% exercise at least 4 days per week, vs. 23% of poor.

81% maintain a daily to-do list, vs. 19%. The wealthy cross off about 70% of those activities in an average day.

70% set long-term goals, vs. 3%.

55% network during lunch, vs. 2%.

57% count calories, vs. 5%. And 70% eat fewer than 300 junk-food calories per day, vs. 3% poor. And generally have less than 2 alcoholic beverages per day.

Only 6% spread gossip, vs. 79%.

33% spent more than 1 hour watching TV per day, vs. 77% of poor.

That helps explain why a late riser like me was an ill fit for a 9-to-5 job. It's easy for me to rise 3 hours before work now. I can easily get back into the habit of maintaining a daily to-do list. I've been scheduling more networking events for myself. I may have to tighten the screws to meet that junk-food standard, but counting calories would help. Reducing TV watching would be a major lifestyle change that I've not often considered, but the gossip one is definitely one that I've thought about and improved upon.

A great meal for thought to start the day!

No comments: