Monday, July 8, 2013

Massterful Thinking: The Week In Thanks

What better place to assess this week's many sources of thankfulness than during Mass at Epiphany Catholic Church?

So first off, the Life Teen band had all its members present, which is a toss-up for an 8 person troupe. The sound was full and rocking and the energy was high. Plus, the husband-wife band leaders are terrific and the magnetism of the young priest often draws a crowd of 1,000. I should also note that my musical experiences through the years have taught me how to appreciate a situation like this much more so then when I was younger, trading on my perfectionism and leadership cravings for simple happiness to be there in a more minor role as part of a terrific sound. The congregants are more vocally appreciative, and surprisingly so to me, than anywhere else I've performed too. Plus I like the dress code compared with my Catholic schooling days... shorts!

I already blogged about the national anthem performance, but here it's worthy to share thankfulness for the Cornbelters' organization's willingness to give us amateurs a chance, for pristine weather, for Dena's support, and for good health that day.

Good health was another theme for the week. Besides anthem day, the usual aches and pains of a fortysomething were mostly in remission this week: arch sprain, back & knee pain. Plus Dena's celebrating nearly a 30-pound weight loss due to Weight Watchers.

I'm grateful for Dena's tradeswoman instincts - this weekend she decided to caulk the bathtub.

The little gifts that give me opportunity to bring a smile to others' faces, like my voice and even my own smile.

On a holiday weekend in celebration of American rights, I'm especially glad for women's rights. At least two women friends of mine are in divorce proceedings, and the fact that they are not dogmatically shunned or abused in American society but given many freedoms, inside and outside of the divorce, is a blessing.

Always glad to have the old car and computer chugging along. The car just reached its 14th birthday last month. The computer about 5. So both are fairly ancient, resilient and fortunate for me.

I'm lucky that Avanti's is in this town. It's a moderate American legend, at least for those who've grown up near the area. It's cheap and delicious (to me), my favorite.

Thankful as ever for State Farm. Not only for bettter-than-Allstate rates on my property, but also for the funds they've pumped into this town and my financial accounts. The freedom of these last two months has been invigorating and the pursuit of my teacher's calling has been a dream.

For clean, endless supply of water in my own home. It would be a Third World extravagance.

Finally, for the Founding Fathers of our nation as well as for my and Dena's fathers. The patriots' daring sacrifice put their lives on the line in very uncertain environment, their Constitution was designed in brilliant and remarkably enduring fashion. And our own birth fathers paid their own price not only with contributions in armed service, but in raising and defending us in countless other ways to make us into the happily married couple that we are.

Until next week's Massward musings, may your face find the sun and the breeze in the right direction for you!

No comments: