Monday, December 30, 2013

2013: The Year In Review

What an eventful year! I'm in a new job, with a new car, a new basketball team and new cat. And back with an old friend, Leadership McLean County.

It's a favorite time of year for goal-oriented types. First, to take a look back at what was planned. Later, to plan for next year.

The review will go in ascending order of finish.

Watch NCHS Game Film 


The most disappointing discovery for me is that, after five years of trying, my talent and passion for coaching basketball is only average. I'd hoped that adding this to the resolutions list would give me a push, like playing summer hoops did to turn my playing career around 25 years ago. Instead, it wound up as a confirmation that a change is probably in order in the new year.

Spend All Gift Cards

This one I did pretty well at, and actually still have a day to spend my last card at Best Buy. I've dined at several places this year courtesy of generous students.

Expenses At 2012 Level

The purchase of a cat and increasing donations to missionaries skews things some, but thanks to the likes of Sam's Club, shifting from cable to Netflix, and so on we've kept our routine expenses on track. Medical and business expenses are up, but fortunately so is business income.

Top 10 List Of New Acquaintances

The Spelling Bee theater experience introduced me to several people, tutoring led to a bunch more, and we participated in a Bible study to meet others. This goal will definitely stay aboard in 2013.

Blog Thanks Weekly, Dream Daily

My retirement dream came true; the tutoring business took off; there's been a lot to celebrate this year. I blogged thanks regularly, and with my next post I'll have completed another full year of 50 monthly blog posts. And in fact, the next post will start a fresh year of new dreams to chase.

Exercise 5+ Days Weekly, 12% Body Fat

I hit this one solidly again, despite a handful of persistent new aches and pains which will be a focus for 2014. I made it to the gym six days almost every week. I don't have an easy way to measure body fat right now, and I will have to find a way, but my weight's at 160 so not too much extra fat could have accumulated.

Tutor 150 Hours

This was a slam dunk, with an assist from the State Farm departure. I actually had 150 hours, or 10 a week on average, in the fall semester alone even if you ignore the 8 weekly hours at Heartland. My long-range goal was 10 hours a week - it got here fast and has fueled exciting revenue possibilities for next year.

No comments: