Sunday, March 2, 2014

Fat-o-Meter

Finally bought one of those fat-measuring hand-held devices that State Farm's employee wellness center has.

I punched in all my height, weight data and got a reading of 13.9%. The booklet that came with it said that put me at the low end of the normal range, which seemed pretty good. On other devices I'd registered a lower amount years ago. I know we gain some fat with age, but still.

There was also a category of "Normal" and "Athlete." I'd registered under "Normal" originally as my personal setting, but the booklet explained by way of a formula that since I exercise vigorously on a stationary bike for a half hour at least 5 days a week, I qualify as an "Athlete." This seemed like a good thing. I switched the setting, and now my percentage was 12.5%.

Then another instruction caught my attention. When getting a reading I should hold my arms straight out in front of me. When I did that... 15%. Um. Apparently I have like 23 pounds of fat on me somewhere. Whether or not this is highly accurate, it's still a baseline to work around in terms of improvement.

Back to work!

No comments: